WMS Teacher Wins Teacher Appreciation Contest

Judy+Lovett%2C+Jason+Jakubos%2C+Miss+Waggoner%2C+and+Jason+Byers+stop+for+a+photo+after+surprising+Miss+Waggoner.+

Bella Hester

Judy Lovett, Jason Jakubos, Miss Waggoner, and Jason Byers stop for a photo after surprising Miss Waggoner.

Jayden Knight, Staff Writer

On October 9th, a small group of people came into Ms. Waggoner’s journalism class. Those people were Jason Jakubos (Farmers Insurance Agent), Jordan Bordofskey (Farmers Insurance District Marketing Manager), Jason Byers (of Roseburg Book & Stationery), and Judy Lovett. Miss Waggoner was surprised when it was announced that she had won the Back to School Teacher Appreciation contest.

Farmers Insurance and Roseburg Book & Stationary hosted a teacher appreciation contest. Community members could nominate outstanding teachers in Douglas County. After nominations, teachers from at least nine Douglas County schools were nominated. One of the people who nominated Miss Waggoner was Judy Lovett.

Judy was asked why she nominated our teacher, and she replied, “Having grown up in our community, Ms. Waggoner is well-known and has earned the respect of community members. I see her as having a positive impact on her students, teaching her students to have a positive impact on their community as well. I have witnessed Ms. Waggoner’s teaching abilities since she was in middle school, instructing friend’s children in arts & crafts.”

Miss Waggoner was given balloons and a basket full of school supplies with an Echo Dot, also a $200 gift card to Roseburg book & Stationary. She is in her sixth year of teaching and her third year at WMS. She teaches 7th grade language arts, 8th grade literacy, and a mixed 7/8th grade journalism class. Next time you see Ms. Waggoner be sure to congratulate her.