How Young Is Too Young To Be Left Home Alone?

Branson Willis, Staff Writer

How young is too young to be home alone? Well, the age for being home differs in a few different state. In some states you have to be in highschool but in others you don’t even have to be done with elementary. Some states don’t have a set age for a child to be able to be home alone.

In Connecticut you have to be 12 years old to be home alone, and I think that is an appropriate age but is a little late. I think that the appropriate age is 11 years old. I think that since you turn 11 in 5th grade and that some places have 5th is in middle school that you should be able to be home alone. I also think that you begin to mature when you get to 11 years old, others might disagree. Some might think that you shouldn’t be left home alone until you get into high school.

In Delaware there isn’t a law on leaving your children home alone. You can leave your child home alone (for a reasonable time and at a reasonable age) at anytime you think they are ready. There is a organization that will respond to any child left alone situation, however. I don’t agree with that law, but that’s my opinion.

Like Delaware, Oregon doesn’t have a set law on when a child is able to be left home alone. There is child neglect statutes that give some guidance:

“A person having custody or control of a child under 10 years of age commits the crime of child neglect in the second degree if, with criminal negligence, the person leaves the child unattended in or at any place for such period of time as may be likely to endanger the health or welfare of such child.” – Oregon Legal Research.

There are different laws for every state, but some are alike in ways. If your state, or area, doesn’t have a law then use your common sense and know when your child is ready. If you don’t know your state’s law then look it up using, how old does a child need to be left home alone in -your state or area.- Do that just to avoid getting into trouble with the law. If you are a child and reading this then tell your parent about this and see that they think.