What’s Happened at WMS in Quarter 2

Mr.+Parsons+directs+the+choir+as+the+band+looks+on.+Photo+by+Mykal+Hunter+used+with+permission.+

Mr. Parsons directs the choir as the band looks on. Photo by Mykal Hunter used with permission.

Emily McWhorter, Staff Writer

Several things have been happening at the Winston Middle School. One of them being a group of kids read Wonder in Mrs. Parks literacy class. These students along with a few others, got to go on a trip to see Wonder in the theaters. The book is all about kindness and treating others with respect. The book gives several precepts, or words to live by, including: “When given the choice between being right or being kind, choose kind.” -Mr. Browne from wonder by R. J. Palacio. Thinking about kindness, some of the people from Honor Society helped the Winston Festival Association set up Christmas decorations and lights at Civic Wayside Park on a Saturday.

Caleb Jones, Savaun Deng, Adrianna Sapp, Allie Stepp, and Israel Sierra of the WMS Honor Society take a break from decorating Civic Wayside Park to pose for a picture. Not pictured is Kali Cockrum-Clark who also spent her Saturday morning setting up the Christmas decorations. Photo by Kate Waggoner used with permission.

The boys’ basketball season ended with the 7th graders winning 7 games. The 8th graders put a lot of effort and had a fun season. Now since the boys’ basketball is leaving, the girls are practicing really hard to win some games with Coach Polamalu (7th Grade) and Coach Anderson (8th Grade).

We have a bowling trip coming up in February for perfect attendance and good citizenship. Also, the Strive for 5 attendance activity for quarter two is a trip to go see Star Wars the Last Jedi. We also had 192 kids eligible for quarter one for Strive for 5 attendance awards, and they got gift certificates.

Band and choir had their first concert on November 21, 2017. They kicked of the year really well with an amazing performance in our gym directed by Mr. Parsons.