A Christmas Story

Daizy Gehrke, Staff Writer

Christmas was always my least favorite day of the year. Everyone was so happy it was unnatural. I wasn’t used to it. I mostly hated it because of my family. My family was the ‘perfect’ family according to other people but it was different if you saw what it was like at home. My father was always yelling our mother isn’t home ever and I only have one sister. Her name is Mia. She is my everything. She is only five year old. I mainly watched out for her because my parents were always busy. Christmas was her favorite.

It was December 22, three more days until Christmas. I sighed then pulled the beanie down to cover the tips of my ears. I had to go to the mall and get a present for Mia. Sadly I didn’t have a car because my parents wouldn’t help pay for one so i had to walk 3 miles. I sighed once again and began jogging.I eventually reached the mall. I stopped to catch my breath, then ran inside to escape from the cold.

I ended up inside Toys ‘R’ Us. I couldn’t decide on getting her a Nerf gun or a karaoke machine. Eventually i just asked an older lady for help but all she said was “Get both.” then she shrugged and walked away. So, that’s what I ended up doing. I also bought wrapping paper knowing that my parents wouldn’t end up doing Christmas.

After I ran home and hid Mia’s stuff i went to check on her. I walked into her blindingly pink room to see her playing with two dolls. When she saw me she jumped up and barreled towards me. Not stopping, she jumped and wrapped her legs around my waist. I let out a laugh.

Mia is the only person who sees me laugh. At school I’m not all that nice and my parents are kinda the same situation. I didn’t have bad grades I just didn’t talk to everyone and everyone left me alone. “I missed you jay-jay.”I smiled and kissed the top of her head.

“ I missed you but you need to go to bed, it’s almost nine.” She yawned only proving my point that it was bedtime. I brought her onto the bed and kissed her head once more before shutting off the lights and closing the door. After that i went to my room and fell asleep. The next morning I got ready for school and walked with Mia to her school. I gave her a hug and then began jogging to my school with my hood covering up my face. Eventually I reached the school. I sighed then walked in.

I have three words for high school. High school sucks. When the bell rang, signaling the end of the day i ran out the door. Mia’s school ended earlier than mine but I couldn’t just skip my last period every day. So Mia stayed with her teacher. The cold air whipped at my face as I ran. By the time I got to the elementary school it was almost dark. I ran into the building and into the familiar green classroom.”Hello Jay.” I looked up to see the teacher smiling down at me. I smile and waved, out of breath. “May I speak with you?” I nodded and looked to my right to see Mia playing with Legos. A small smile made its way to my face.

Mrs. Talenseno ushered me into a small chair that was way too small for me. I grimaced when i sat. “Whatsup Mrs. Talenseno?” I asked still making a face. She sat nervously twisted her long fingers together.

“Don’t take this offensively jay, but I was curious if you and Mia would like to come to my house and spend Christmas with us. I know how your parents are and I would really appreciate it if you guys came to my house and Mia could meet my daughter and I think Sam would like you. He reminds me a lot of you