Logan: An emotional bloodbath of a movie

Owen Shapro, Staff Writer

Though it is labeled as a superhero movie, James Mangold’s 2017 film “Logan” falls far from one in my book. It is rated R for a very good reason, do not go see this movie without being accompanied by someone who is 17 years or older. That aside the movie was amazing.
It follows a retired Mutant James Logan Howlett, once known as Wolverine. Logan is dying. You may be thinking that that doesn’t make sense due to his mutant abilities giving him a healing factor. Well if you have kept up with the X-men/Wolverine movies you would know that he had a genetic experiment done to him that replaced all of his bones with that of adamantium also giving him the power to use retractable claws made of the same indestructible material. Now he is slowly dying because the adamantium is poisoning him slowly. Logan now lives a life of solitude as he and another mutant watch over Logan’s old mentor Charles Xavier or Professor. X. One day a woman asks Logan to help her and a child she called Laura. After some bribery Logan agrees and goes to pick them up the next day to find the woman dead. He returns home to see that Charles had brought her to their home. Laura turns out to be Logan’s daughter and a failed mutant experiment. Now Logan, Xavier and Laura are on the run trying to escape to North Dakota to a mutant safe place known as “Eden.”
The movie is shot amazingly and it makes me wish that this didn’t have to be the last movie with Old Man Logan. Surprisingly throughout all the blood and curses Logan still holds up to be a great film with an amazing plot.