The Warrior

All About Parakeets

Two common parakeets or Melopsittacus undulatus. Photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons license.

Emily McWhorter, Staff Writer

I have two parakeets that are a delight to have, so I thought I would give you a few facts on parakeets in case you are looking to buy one.

Although parakeets live in Americans’ houses today, they once used to live in the jungle. The birds are in the same big family as the parrot. These birds live in the warmer climates of the world like in Africa, India, and South America. But, they once lived in America to.

Parakeets can get up to 30-35 grams in weight and 19 cm tall. Parakeets can live up to 10-15 years, but the longest one lived for 22 years. Parakeets have two toes on their that face forward and two that face backwards. Parakeets are omnivores eating mainly insects, fruit, seeds leaves, plants, grass and ferns.

Females lay 4 to 8 eggs during a period of 8 to 16 days. Parakeet nests are located inside the tree. A female uses her beak to expand space in the tree and create a nest. Eggs hatch after the period of 18 to 21 days.

The budgie is the best talking bird among the parakeets and is able to learn words, phrases, and whistles easily. The males are the best talkers, though females can learn a few words and can also whistle.

Parakeets are one of those animals that over time can learn to talk with their owners. With the proper training and time trying to train the parakeet to speak, it’ll just be a matter of time before they are talking back with their owners.

I hope you have now a few facts on parakeets and maybe you would want to buy one to.