The Warrior

Damara Zebras

A group of zebras graze in the North Africa section of the Wildlife Safari drive through. (September 20, 2018)

Anna McKenna

Anna McKenna

Chloe Bock, Staff Writer

Damara Zebras also known as Burchell Zebra have many amazing traits. Did you know that every zebra can be identified with its own unique set of stripes? They are born at a whopping 70lbs, and they can weigh up to 550 as full adults. When a baby zebra is born, the mother and baby will leave the herd for two weeks, so they can get to know each other’s stripe patterns. Once they know the patterns, they will return to the herd.
Damara Zebras live in small family groups. Most of these zebras left in existence are living in zoos and national parks. Winston is lucky enough to get to be the home to 11 Damara zebras. According to Allison, a keeper at the Wildlife Safari, you can find the zebras in the North Africa section of the WLS drive through. However, they are native to southeast Africa and live in grasslands, savannahs, and, sometimes, wooded areas.
The average life span of a zebra is 25 years in the wild, but they can live to be up to 40 years old in captivity. The youngest zebra at the Safari is Ruckus who is four-years-old and the oldest zebra is Domino, who is seven-years-old.
Damara zebras although beautiful to view from the seat of your car, are still wild animals so remember to respect these animals on your next visit.