Lemonade Mouth

Sabrina Bargenoe, Staff Writer

Lemonade Mouth is a Disney Channel Original Movie. It is about a group of freshman who all meet in detention. Each of them all have two things in common: music and the love for the lemonade machine down in the basement. Each of them making a stop at it on their way to the detention room A.K.A the music room. While down there, they start playing around with the instruments and Olivia White (Bridget Mendler) sings Turn Up The Music. Miss Reznick finds them this way and proposes they all compete in a contest called Rising Star against Mudslide Crush, a band with Mohini “Mo” Banjaree’s (Naomi Scott) boyfriend, as one of the members.
During a small reunion at the local pizza place, they agree to form a band with Olivia as lead vocalist, Stella Yamada as lead guitarist, Mo on bass, Wendell “Wen” Gifford on the keyboard, and Charlie Delgado on the drums. They use their music to stand up for what they believe in and rebel against their principal. Their principal refuses to let them play anywhere near the school and to pay for any music programs as he thinks sports is more important and better for the school’s image. One day during lunch, they find their name when Stella spits lemonade all over Ryan. He refers to her as “lemonade mouth” causing them to all make it their official name.
Towards the end, the band starts getting discouraged, all of them believing their injuries and sicknesses are signs that they should stop playing. At Rising Star, Mudslide Crush plays the very self-centered song “Don’t Ya Wish U Were Us?” Lemonade Mouth attempts playing the song “Determinate” but only Stella is able to play due to everyone else’s injuries and sicknesses. All of them decide they just couldn’t play, the crowd pitches in to show that they shouldn’t give up and sing “Determinate” for the band. Scott, Mo’s ex-boyfriend, gets on stage in an attempt to help and win back her heart. Although the band did not win the competition, they did go on to be a big band and play Madison Square Garden.
This movie is definitely one of my favorites even though several people despise Disney Channel. Why? I guess I’ll never know.