Secret Midnight Press

Sabrina Bargenoe, Staff Writer

Secret Midnight Press is a company ran by Ashley Dun and Jesse Cale. They are both authors of brand new books. Ashley’s being called Smoke Signals and Jesse’s being Mentha Spicata el Corazon! The books are meant for anyone. They have been written to express their inner feelings about love, sadness, depression, heartbreak, et cetera.

I found Secret Midnight Press one day while checking Jesse Cale’s Snapchat story. I was intrigued, so I looked it up. I was disappointed, though. It turned out that I couldn’t see the site from my mobile. But later on, when I got a laptop, I checked it again and the site itself made me emotional. The typewriter that sits on the front page had actual buttons for you to press. When you chose certain keys it would show a piece of one of their poems.

Ashley Dun has her own blog which she posts on quite frequently. She puts her own life story there, along with her poems. Each of them are very beautiful when it comes to the words. She has suffered from depression and anxiety since her senior year in high school. She took all of her feelings and all her experiences and shoved them between two covers. It all turned out absolutely inspiring.

My favorite of her poems being:

they’ll never know
the words
whispered in the 
dark under the 
summer moon and
they’ll never know
the music 
that plays when
i think of you 
secrets weave
a tangled web
between us and
i can’t quite seem 
to get your scent
out of my 
soul

– Ashley Dun

Jesse Cale is a whole different story. He is a man that knows what it’s like to be in pain. He used to be overweight, a smoker, and a drinker before he went on a health craze that consisted solely of smoothies. But, over the past year, he has grown to love himself, thus his inspiration of Mentha Spicata el Corazon! The title is a poetic idiom that is meant to inspire your soul, renew your heart, refresh the mind and introduce something new to your life.

I have not been able to read any of his poems yet, so I do not have a favorite. In only a couple days I will have enough money to buy first edition copies to both Ashley and Jesse’s books. I am truly excited and I was even inspired to write my own poetry book, all thanks to my two idols.