Steph Curry

Kierra Bennett, Staff Writer

Have you ever heard of the famous basketball player Steph Curry? He owns the biggest smile in the NBA. It’s a goofy grin, one that usually emerges after he hits another of his seemingly limitless rainmakers from three-point land. Curry is 6 feet 3 inches and 190 pounds. Curry has always had a great shot. When he hit the NBA with the Golden State Warriors, where three pointers had become the staple of the team’s offense, it was a match made in heaven. He’s now the NBA’s most popular player and a two-time league MVP (Segal).

In 2014-2015 he set the record for the most postseason three pointers with 98. The record was a previously held by the great Reggie Miller. Along with Klay Thomson and new recruit Kevin Durant, the Warriors boast three of the four best shooters in the NBA (Segal).In 2017 the sharpshooting team took back the title from the Cavs, and Curry proved he’s still got “it”. Over the last four years for every three pointer he makes, Curry donates three lifesaving bed nets to the charity Nothing But Nets, which helps protect poor families in Africa from malaria. (Segal)

In a Warriors World Q & A, he says that he was named after his father, and even though he is widely known as “Stephen” or “Steph,” his close friends still refer to him by his birth name. His real name is Wardell Stephen Curry 2. He was born in Akron, Ohio. Curry and Lebron were born in the same city, and according to NBC Bay Area, they were born in the same hospital. (Neuharth-Keusch)

According to NBA.com, “The NBA’s deadliest shooter [Curry] was re-writing the record books long ago, with 162 makes during his sophomore season at Davidson.” Stephen Curry made history again this season by breaking the NBA record for the most 3-pointers made in a single season during the second quarter of his team’s season closing game against the Portland Trail Blazers. Curry’s second 3-pointer of the game, which came at the 6:49 mark of the second, was his 270th triple of the 2012-13 campaign. That broke the previous mark of 269, set by Ray Allen during the 2005-06 season, when he was with the Seattle Supersonics. I love Steph Curry, and hope he can make more history.

Works Cited:
Neuharth-Keusch, AJ. “28 Facts That You Might Not Know about Stephen Curry.” USA Today, Gannett Satellite Information Network, 15 Mar. 2016, www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2016/03/14/28-facts-you-might-not-know-about-stephen-curry/81767138/.
Segal, Adam Elliott. Basketball Stars. Firefly Books, 2017.