All About Michael Jordan

Michael Jordan, former basketball star and majority owner of the Charlotte Bobcats, at the National Basketball Associations board of governors meeting in New York, April 17, 2014. DOD photo by D. Myles Cullen. Photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons license

D. Myles Cullen

Michael Jordan, former basketball star and majority owner of the Charlotte Bobcats, at the National Basketball Association’s board of governors meeting in New York, April 17, 2014. DOD photo by D. Myles Cullen. Photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons license

Kierra Bennett, Staff Writer

Have you ever heard of one of the best basketball players Michael Jordan? His name is Michael Jeffrey Jordan. Michael was born on February 17, 1963 (he’s 55). He is the fourth of five children. He was born in Brooklyn, New York. His mother and father our James Jordan, a business owner, and Deloris (Peoples) Jordan. He attended the Emsley A. Laney High School in Wilmington where he began his athletic career. He tried several sports apart from basketball at school. In 1981, Jordan earned a basketball scholarship to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he majored in cultural geography. (22.Facts.com)

Jordan joined the NBA’s Chicago Bulls in 1984 (22.Facts.com). He played 15 seasons in the National Basketball Association (NBA) for the Chicago Bulls and Washington Wizards. His biography on the NBA website states, “By acclamation, Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time.” He holds the NBA records for highest career regular season scoring average (30.12 points per game) and highest career playoff scoring average (33.45 points per game) (22.Facts.com). In 1999, he was named the greatest North American athlete of the 20th century by ESPN and was second to Babe Ruth on the Associated Press’s list of athletes of the century. (Marsupalami)

He was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2009.One record that still stand today is when Jordan and the Bulls played Miami in 1992. He broke two records in one half of that game. He made 20 free throws in a half, which is a record, and he took 23, which is also still a record. Michael Jordan produced an amazing all-time regular season record 563 games where he scored over 30 points. Jordan holds the record for the most points in a three game playoff series with 135 (45.0 points). This record can never be broken since even first round series now go to seven games and not five like before. (22.Facts.com)

Jordan tied an all-time defensive record once, with eight steals in a HALF! This is still an NBA records. In fact, Jordan is also tied for the all-time record of three times leading the NBA in steals. January 13, 1999: This time there would be no comeback in Chicago. Jordan had retired in 1993, citing the lack of desire for the game, and mainly due to the murder of his father. This was the last of Michael Jordan playing in the NBA. Just because he is retired isn’t stopping him from playing basketball. You can still catch him playing. Michael Jordan is always going to be my favorite basketball player. I always look back and think what if he played the now basketball players like Curry or Lebron But I bet you he is the best player you can ever think of!

Works Cited

Marsupalami, Zachmo. “NBA Greats: Michael Jordan’s Still-Standing Records.” Bleacher Report, Bleacher Report, 12 Apr. 2017, bleacherreport.com/articles/585329-nba-greats-michael-jordans-still-standing-records%C2%A0.

“Michael Jordan Facts.” 22Facts.Com, 22facts.com/michael-jordan/%C2%A0.

PostGame Staff. “Remembering The Day Michael Jordan Retired For Good From The Chicago Bulls.” The Post Game, Sports Media Ventures, 13 Jan. 2015, www.thepostgame.com/blog/throwback/201501/michael-jordan-chicago-bulls-retirement .